Dingleburn Wilderness Walk
This epic off-road safari and walk explores the remote landscapes of Lake Hawea’s Dingleburn Station.
This has to be one of the most thrilling and spectacular backroad journeys in New Zealand. Your expert guide skillfully negotiates this incredible road blasted by hand into the sheer cliff face high above Lake Hawea. Arriving at remote Silver Island Bay set off for a leisurely walk traversing the lower slopes Dingleburn Station towards the Dingleburn River where a relaxing riverside picnic lunch awaits.
Adult: $325 per person
Child: $206 per person
Minimum of 2 people needed to run the trip
For large groups head to our group page for pricing
Please note: A surcharge of 15% applies on public holidays20
- Remote private tracks of Dingleburn Station, Lake Hawea
- Experience spectacular 4WD road hand blasted into a cliff high over Lake Hawea
- Pure wilderness walking – no houses, no people
- Delicious riverside picnic lunch
Those looking for a mix of off-road driving and walking in pure wilderness.
Time of year:
All year round
Allow 6-7 hours
(Short on time? We also our shorter Dingleburn Discovery)
- Private access to hand-blasted backroads on Dingleburn Station, Lake Hawea
- Expert local guide.
- A leisurely walk (approx. 7 km) through an alpine meadow on a well-graded trail with incredible wide-open views of Lake Hawea and surrounding mountains (length of walk optional)
- Hiking poles
- Delicious picnic lunch – Chicken or Veggie wrap, tea/coffee, hot choc, sweet) Gluten-free options available
Fitness level required:
Must be able to walk at least 7 km without vehicle support.